Monday, September 16, 2013

Slipping on a Banana Peel

Has my obsession with slipping on banana peels gone too far? I mentioned it here and here and in my About Me page, and I realized I mentioned my goal of seeing someone slip on a banana peel in an "about me" once way back in high school too. Everyone who has ever had the pleasure of calling me a co-worker knows about my sick fancy. Friends are always alerting me to abandoned banana peels they saw on various roads, as if expecting me to go stake it out in case anyone should trip on it.

And then this happened.
That made my lyfe too. Why does it bring such joy to me when I picture people slipping and falling, especially on banana peels? Here are my theories:


1. Banana peels make great antagonists. They're fun, playful, brightly colored, oddly shaped. They surround bananas, which are healthy, wholesome snacks. They shouldn't be tripping people; they should be our friend! But that's what's funny. Banana peels look like our friend, but they're really just slippery a-holes out to get us when we least expect it. And that's funny.

2. Slipping on a banana peel is one of those cliches that you actually never experience. For instance, I've never actually met a single person named Suzy, even though that's like the quintessential name you give to a little girl in any story. I've never met a sleazy lawyer or been rescued by a dog or slid down a locker and cried after finding out my best friend was dating my ex-boyfriend or eaten a salad while laughing. Yet these things are cliche for some reason. If I were to meet someone named Suzy, slide down a locker, or laugh with lettuce hanging out of my mouth, that would be crazy and mildly humorous. Slipping on a banana peel is funny for the same reason, except you also have to add the tripping-and-falling factor, which bumps it up to hilarious.

3. I have the sense of humor of a baby. I literally laugh when people sneeze. Yes, sneezing is funny to me. Not all sneezes, of course. But if you have a particularly loud or dramatic sneeze, I will laugh at you. I also think it's funny when people hiccup or fart, or the rare simultaneous hiccup-fart. You could probably initiate a game of peek-a-boo with me and I'd enjoy it.

So there you have it: slipping on banana peels=funny. If you're looking for any last-minute Christmas gift ideas for me, sacrificing yourself on a banana peel would be a good, thrifty idea that you know I would enjoy.

Have I gone off the deep end? What was the point of this post? This was literally a 5-paragraph essay on Why Slipping on a Banana Peel Would be Funny. Someone stop/help me.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, you have met a sleazy lawyer....points to self.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.