Thursday, April 18, 2013

Songs that Coax a Lonely Tear

Sometimes you just need a good cry, amiriteladeez? Crying can be therapeutic. So therapeutic, in fact, that I occasionally turn on some melancholy jamz just to get in the mood for crying. The right music can have a tremendous affect on your mood, including making you cry when you aren't otherwise sad. Some songs are guaranteed to make me cry, no matter how goddamn happy I started out. For instance, I'm sure you've all cried a lonely tear along with Sinead O'Connor.

Screenshot via Youtube


If you're going through a tumultuous breakup, for example, sad breakup songs will probably bring out your inner Sinead. Or if you're having a bad day, I could see how you would empathize with Daniel Powter. But certain songs make me cry even though I can't relate to them at all. 

For instance, why do I still get teary eyed every time I hear Vitamin C's "Graduation"? Let's break this down. I haven't graduated from anything in 3 years, and I never will again. It's been 7 years since I graduated high school and 13 years since the song was released. Vitamin C was about 28 years old when it came out. What was she doing singing about graduation? 

 Image via Hollywood Reporter
Now she's even older and apparently working for Nickelodeon.

This song doesn't actually remind me of high school graduation, since it came out when I was only in 6th grade. I think it mostly makes me nostalgic for simpler times when I could wear the same headband every single day and no one cared or noticed. I miss the days when I had never even seen the periodic table before. Remember those days? You know what else chokes me up? The fact that she opens the song with "And so we talked all night about the rest of our lives / Where we're gonna be when we turn 25." I remember thinking 25 seemed so far off, and now here we are, driven to drink because of how old and decrepit we've become.

I also can't get through "With Arms Wide Open" by Creed without crying about how beautiful the mystery of human life and childbirth is. Luckily, I don't frequent radio stations that play Creed, so I'm rarely exposed to it. But seriously, people: he's created life. I've never created life myself, and if I did I'd probably cry tears of fear and anguish at the high cost of child care and diapers. And even though I'm not planning on having kids any sooner than my ovaries dictate, I just can't handle the emotions of this song. He's going to greet his child with arms wide open, and that is just too many feels for me to handle. I just can't. (Side note: If I ever get pregnant and request this song to be played in the hospital as I shoot the little bugger out of my...area...please just tell me to stfu. I mean, it's Creed. No.) You know what else is scary? The life he created is now old enough to create life himself. Biologically, at least.

 Image via Wikipedia
Apparently Scott Stapp cut his hair finally. And, just sayin', I wouldn't kick present-day Scott Stapp outta bed for eating crackers...

A more recent song that really makes me feel a lot of feelings is "When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars, whom you already know I love and adore. I really can't get over how perfect this song is: his simple piano playing, the dulcet tones of Mr. Mars's unreal, off-da-chain vocals, and the "oooh oohh ooh-ooh hooooo!" in the background all combine to magically create The Best Song Ever. I truly believe this is what Tenacious D was talking about when they sang "Tribute."

 Screenshot via Youtube
I wish Bruno Mars would give me even one of his hours. I would spend it crying at the poignancy of his lyrics and the majesty of his hair.

The really confusing part is that the lyrics in this song work me into a frenzy. He's singing about a lost love, a girl he lost because he didn't treat her right. He should have bought her flowers, held her hand, gave (well, given) her all his hours, and taken her to every party. Why? Because all she wanted to do was dance. Is there a sadder tale of love gone sour than that of Bruno Mars and his ex-girlfriend (who is now dancing with another man)? No, there is not. Again, I have no personal reasons for crying at this song. I've never treated an ex poorly, and I was never treated poorly by an ex. I don't even remotely miss any of my exes (okay, fine, my sole ex). There is no reason whatsoever that I should be crying about love lost. But that's Bruno for ya. He gets me every time.

Back when I graduated from college, I tried my best to prepare myself for my upcoming long-distance relationship. I knew Chris and I would be separated across state lines for at least two years (which really only amounted to an hour and a half drive), but to me, it was the end of the world. Cue Lady Antebellum waxing on about how they "Need You Now." Oh man, that song elicited a few tears. Possibly even a few sob-fests. I can't recall exactly. I'm pretty sure the song is actually about another lost love, but I pretended it was about a long distance relationship, which was acceptable. Now, however, I still cry when I hear it.

 He's cute.

You guys, I live with Chris now. He makes my lunch every day. His hairs are all over my sink. He wakes me up with a burp more often than not. He just said "boo-yah" for some reason. How can I possibly miss him? I don't know. All I know is, I'm a little drunk and I need him now. He's literally sitting three feet away from me as I type this, and instead of interacting with him, I'm sniffling while this song plays into my headphones.

Do any songs inexplicably make you shed a tear? Are you guilty of crying at these?

9 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie, I judge you a little bit for the Creed one. You should cry when you hear "Arms Wide Open" because it's a terrible, terrible song.

    I heard "Graduation" the other day on the radio (thank you, '90s station). It didn't make me tear up, but it made me go "awww" and then remember how ridiculous it was when someone played it over the PA system on the last day of school when I was in 7th grade. All the 8th graders were crying and hugging one another. I was just thinking how almost all of them would see one another in the fall when they started high school, and even if they went to different schools, they still lived in the same city and could hang out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to be fair, I did say "I mean, it's Creed. No." You should be judging me for not kicking him out of bed for eating crackers.

      Delete
  2. Did you ever used to like Creed? Just give it a bit. It comes back around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I did like them when they were popular. I'm not really into that style though.

      Delete
  3. Remember "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol? When it first came out, I cried because I associated it with Denny dying on Grey's Anatomy. I cry a lot, and a lot while watching people die on TV, so the song that plays when that person is dying on TV always makes me cry. Another example would be Bon Iver's "Re: Stacks" from when Amber died on House. I guess I should stop watching medical dramas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Grace gets me every time, for obvious reasons. I cried the first time I heard Taylor Swift's "Love Story", but it doesn't make me cry anymore (thankfully, cause, really?). Country artists just know how to bring out the waterworks in me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "One Thing" by Finger Eleven gets me every time, probably because I associate it with an ex-boyfriend. "Graduation" also makes me tear up because it makes me think of a different ex-boyfriend. Hmm...a pattern.

    Btw, I followed you here from weddingbee and now I'm comment stalking you. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate the comment stalking! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Caramel" by City High makes me cry. I was pregnant with my daughter when it came out so I blame hormones, obviously. "One More Day" by New Edition makes me cry because it does. I can't listen to "You Were Meant For Me" by Jewel, at all-ever-because I'm embarrassed at how many time I cried over an old boyfriend to that song. "Change the World" by Eric Clapton and Babyface is the worst thing ever. Crap, am I showing my age with these songs! Jeez. Current song that makes me mushy? "Wanted You More" by Lady A. But its weird now cause I'm really happy so I don't like sad songs or songs where the girl is stupidly in love with someone who treated her like crap.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.