Sunday, March 3, 2013

Whats up with...This Photo of Posh Spice?

I've learned a lot about the world so far in my 24 years of life. Many mind-boggling topics (calculus, the definition of "is," and how to use a washing machine, for example) became clearer to me during my time in college. Questions I had about the world--what's compound interest, why is the sky blue, and what's in your brother's dresser drawers--have gotten answered slowly but surely. For the most part, if I have a question about something, I can either look it up on Wikipedia or ask someone smarter than me, and I'm satisfied with this arrangement.

But there is one question that remains--a question I've had since 1997 that has never been answered:

What is up with Posh Spice's pose on the cover of the Spice Girls Spice album??


Image via Amazon


The other four girls are doing normal "sassy" poses, like punching the air or mussing up their hair. But Posh Spice? She's doing some sort of contortionist act that greatly resembles a Photoshop disaster


Can someone please explain to me what the logistics of this photo are? Which flesh colored areas are arms, and which are legs? How many limbs does she have, and how many is she missing? Where is her torso in all of this? Maybe a close-up would help:
I would appreciate any insight you can provide on this issue. It's been plaguing me for literally 15 years, which I think we can all agree is far too long. I won't rest until this issue is resolved. I demand an answer, once and for all.


6 comments:

  1. She is bent forward, shrugging her right shoulder toward the front (her right hand would probably be on her right knee). Her left hand is on her left hip and you don't see her left arm because it is behind her due to the provocative twistie thing she is doing. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the analysis! But I still don't get where here torso is...what is that red area between her right arm and left leg??

      Delete
    2. It just looks like her torso isn't there because she's bending way forward - butt back.

      Delete
  2. hahahaha I never noticed that! Where is her stomach?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was bugging me as well, which is how I came across your post! But I finally figured it out. The camera is shooting her from above, so she is looking up. Her left arm is behind her, and she is bent down with her right arm on her right leg. You can't see her right leg because it is mostly covered with her right arm. You can barely see her fingers on her left hip. Because she is wearing a LBD, her waist and torso is lost in the black of the dress and because she is bending forward. The red area you see between her right arm and left leg is the background. It looks so odd because all the other girls were shot straight on, which gives this weird illusion to Posh's photo that her torso is missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally understand! And it looks like LeAnn above had the right idea too but I didn't understand until now. THANK YOU for clearing this up! hahaha

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.