Monday, March 11, 2013

I'll Never Drink Again. Until Easter.

Last year after a particularly bad night out, a friend and I decided we were never drinking again. If you've ever drank before, you're probably nodding your head with a half smile, thinking "gurrrl, I've been there." And so had we, really. But we were getting older (somehow binge drinking at 23 is approximately one billion times worse than binge drinking at 21, in terms of the morning after), plus we had forced ourselves to go to a bridal expo the next day, which is not a very enjoyable hangover activity.

 This photo happened during the bridal expo. I definitely look hungover in the first pic. I look like I'm still drinking in the other two.



Lent was right around the corner, a mere 4 days away. One of us suggested giving up alcohol for Lent, and the other concurred. There was nothing I wanted less in that moment than a sip of alcohol, so a self-imposed 40-day ban sounded like a great idea.

It ended up working out nicely--I lost some weight, slightly lowered my appetite for wine so that it's now at a socially-acceptable level, and proved to myself that I could do it. And that was the most important part.

So this year I decided to do it again. It's not really for religious reasons; rather, it's an annual check-in to make sure I'm able to keep myself from the booze for 40 days. I keep telling everyone that I'm going to do it every year, and if a year comes where I just don't feel like doing it, then I'll know I have a problem. However, I regret telling people that now, because I know I won't want to do this every year of my life. I'm not some kind of saint, for God's sake, people! Geez. Get off my case...

As you can see, I really enjoy wine.

As it turns out, not drinking can surprise, confuse, and make people uncomfortable. It has also spawned some interesting stories and revealed some insights. Because I only bother living a life for the blog fodder, I decided to recap my experiences with not-drinking for 40 days. Stay tuned for the first installment, which includes a wine-free Valentine's Day and other missed wine opportunities.

Have you ever abstained from alcohol? Did anything interesting or unexpected happen?

1 comment:

  1. I stopped drinking alcohol (as an unconscious decision) for about a couple weeks after I had been drinking nearly everyday for a week straight. What happened was actually pretty freaky... my veins felt like they were pumping extra hard to circulate my blood and it made my limbs all tingly.
    Needless to say, I haven't drank more than a couple times in a week since then, and have even skipped drinking for longer periods of time since then. Not even consciously, mind you... but the freaky super blood pumping tingly arms freaked me out enough. Plus I'm like TWENTY-FIVE years old. Definitely over the binge drinking these days.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.