Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Case of the 60s Wallpaper

I feel like I'm in an episode of Ghostwriter right now. If you haven't heard of Ghostwriter, first GTFO, then pull up a chair and I'll tell you about it. Ghostwriter was a show that aired on Sunday mornings when I was a kid, featuring a racially diverse cast of tweens who wandered Brooklyn unsupervised, solving mysteries with the help of a ghost who could write (hence the title) and a rudimentary form of the internet.

So why do I feel like Lenni Frazier right about now? So, the other day I was removing wallpaper in our bathroom (oh, we bought a house, by the way), and underneath it, I discovered this secret, hidden message that's been in the house for fifty years. It was as if Ghostwriter himself wrote it for me:



Of course I felt guilty removing wallpaper that was original to the house (oh, the house was built in 1963, by the way). I felt less guilty when I recalled how ugly the wallpaper was.

I do love the pink tile though, but the wallpaper had to go. So did the curtains.

I did some googling to see if I could find out more about this Gene who so skillfully papered the bathroom (seriously, that paper is stuck on). I thought he had been the original homeowner--maybe he had had the house built to his specifications! Maybe he had chosen the pink tile! Maybe he's the one who decided fluorescent lighting was acceptable in the kitchen! I was intrigued.

As it turns out, Mr. Weber is not a previous owner of the house, because I found this:

I'm not positive it's the same guy, but it seems plausible given his job. I'm disappointed that I'm not getting any info on previous owners of our house, because that would have been interesting, but this little Ghostwriter-esque mystery was pretty interesting too. Even though all I had to do was Google his name and the "mystery" was solved. Hey, what can I say, the internet has come a long way since 1992.

Enjoy the theme song:


Have you ever solved any real world mysteries? Were you a fan of Ghostwriter? (Psst...it's on DVD!)

4 comments:

  1. Bahahaha. This made my morning. You're just like Nancy Drew. And I bet it's the same guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghostwriter, holy hell... the definition of my childhood. I used to think these kids were real and that I could run into them since it took place in Brooklyn. I used to carry around a notebook and scribble odd things into it and tell my mother ghostwriter was doing it. This is not a joke, sadly. I need to get the DVDs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this show too! I had a necklace pen like the kids and would write in a notebook and try to solve the mysteries with the kids on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.