Thursday, October 14, 2010

Made: Decoupaged Wall Art

FaveCrafts is hosting its first blog hop today so I decided to post another installment of the “crap I’ve made” series. See previous installments here, here, here, here, and here. I’ve been redoing my room pretty much all summer, and one of my first projects after painting the walls was to decoupage some wooden plaques to hang on the walls. I got the idea from Better Homes and Gardens. Of course theirs looks better, but that’s mostly because my photo-taking skills are practically nonexistent.

I started with wooden plaques of various shapes and sizes from Michael’s and painted them with the same stuff I used for the walls. I don’t know if they make paint specifically for using with wooden plaques, but the wall paint sufficed. Then I traced the plaque shapes onto pieces of 12x12 scrapbook paper and cut out the shapes.




I used Mod Podge and a sponge brush and coated the top of each plaque before placing the paper shapes on top. Then I added another layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper to seal it down. This is what decoupaging is, in case you’ve ever wondered.

The paper got wrinkly when it got wet from the glue, but it smoothed out when it dried, and it got all shiny and cool looking.

I made a bunch of different ones with different papers, arranged them how I liked, and hung them on the wall.


I’m linking up here:


3 comments:

  1. VERY cute! I love this little coordinating set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno how I missed this...sooo cool! So stylish, so phunky phresh. I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so simple yet so stylish! The part where you made it yourself is so wonderful! Everyone can also do their own wall arts, they just have to try! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.