Monday, March 29, 2010

Seattle Recap: The Tourist Traps

While we were in Seattle, I got into complete tourist mode. When I saw a stand with free brochures on it, you can bet I pounced on that bad boy like Paris Hilton on a Greek shipping heir. My collection of Seattle “literature” by the end of the trip was enough to make Al Gore pull at his disgusting beard in tree-hugging disgust at my paper wasting. I was also not shy about opening up the maps right in the middle of the sidewalk and looking around as if I were lost. We even used an umbrella at some point (because of course it rained), and apparently only tourists are novice enough to not have developed some sort of invisible shield against the rain.


Because of my live-like-you’ll-die-tomorrow-and-therefore-never-see-Seattle-again ‘tude, we ended up seeing quite a few famous Seattle touristy things.


[Edit: All Pictures were taken by Chris except for the guitar one. I really can't take credit for his talent any longer!]



Pike Place Market


I’m going to do an entire post on the market, because we literally went there 3 times in 4 days.


And this little guy was there every time.



The Space Needle

This was one of the few things I knew about Seattle before we de-planed. That, and the rain. We experienced both.

Chris was being cheeky and decided to take a picture of this naked little ding-a-ling holding up the needle. So clever.



Experience Music Project/Science Fiction Museum

Why are these two museums housed in one building? The world will literally never know.


We liked the music half, except the interactive part was closed. There was a cool guitar installation though, and a rock n’ roll photography exhibit, a Jimi Hendrix exhibit, and a guitar history exhibit.


Surprisingly, the Science Fiction part was way more interesting to me. It made me want to edit my NaNoWriMo novel and publish it so I could officially be the first sci-fi author to never have read a sci-fi book before.


There was a huge case full of Star Wars action figures. My little brother probably would have smashed the glass and absconded with the buggers.



The Gum Wall

If you’ve never heard of it, the name explains it all. It’s a wall covered in chewed gum.


I thought it would make good pictures, but it ended up being kind of disgusting.


That blue piece in the middle was mine! I accidentally touched the gum in the process—nast.



Underground Tour


This tour, given by a Ritalin deficient tour guide, took us down below street level for a look at the old Seattle sidewalks from the olden days (I don’t do dates) and some interesting Seattle history.


This is an original skylight, and we could see people’s feet walking overhead.



Then we walked over the skylight so the other tours could see our feet.


These were most of the tourist spots we stopped at on our trip; I’ve saved some stuff for subsequent posts, though. Did we miss anything that we should kick ourselves for?


15 comments:

  1. Your pictures are amazing! You have a very good eye in capturing a scene or a view... Keep posting nice ones! And thanks for sharing, I've felt like I toured Seattle too :)

    Heard about the gum wall before, dunno what will I feel if I see it in reality....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support being touristy, though my friends have at various points ripped into me for pulling out my map at random moments. If I don't know where I'm going, then why should I bother pretending I do?
    And I love the idea of you being the first scifi author to have never read scifi before. Publish that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the al gore comment! ha ha! i have to go to pike place one day!!! it looks fantastic. yep, that gum wall is pretty nasty. can't wait to hear more about the market.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've always wanted to go to seattle, and even have a few friends who live there. i don't like being too touristy (well, i'll go on tours, but i don't like being obvious when i'm out on the street), but that might be because i like to fool locals into thinking i'm native. (this has even worked in foreign countries for me. muahahaha!)

    oh and i'm totally bad with historical dates and time periods, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing these photos only makes me realize how crappy my camera is, and that I should get a good one. Let's go back some day and see if your gum is still there (as if we would know which one was yours)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be in guitar heaven there.....! Gimme Gimme Gimme....

    Wonderful pics. I'd be a bit spooked at people walking over me (I don't to underground if I can help it) but that gum wall is brill! Be proud of that blue mashed up little chappie to the collection. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would love to visit seattle one day. your pictures are making me want to go all the more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post. I'm dying to visit Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are so funny!!!

    AND NOW I AM DYING TO GO TO SEATTLE. i was there once, but just at the airport for a heartbeat before getting onto a tiny plane and zipping off to lummi island. seattle looks fun. especially that market place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how fun! i spent half of my honeymoon in seattle, and it was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a gum wall like that in San Luis Obispo where my sister lives. I think its SOOOO gross.

    http://thebusiestbee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! the picture of the computer out of the window is crazy lol

    I like your blog, I'm a new follower. Please check out my blog as well (and follow you like .. i hope you do)

    www.the-blisslist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, I didn't know there were underground Seattle tours - so neat! Guess I will have to visit again to do that!

    Following you via FF at the Trendy Treehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Next time you go, you must see the Fremont. Cool buildings, beautiful art all around you. Statues, parks, the Troll.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.