Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Seattle Recap: The Food

I’m back from a week filled with rain, seafood, airborne fish, coffee, and lots of walking! Seattle was a blast and I really can’t say that I’m happy to be back. In case anyone ever goes to Seattle in the future, I’ve put together a little city guide based on what we did on our trip. It’s not exhaustive by any means, since I know we missed a lot of stuff. First up: Food!


The first day there we ate lunch at Ivar’s Seafood, a Seattle must. I don’t really know why it’s such a landmark, but it is. You walk up to a little stand that sells basically every kind of seafood fried with “chips” on the side. They gave us ketchup in a little sealed cup instead of those pesky packets, which made me pretty excited. In terms of fish and chips it was meh, but I’d recommend it anyway if you like doing things that tourists are supposed to do.


The calories were listed on the menu, so we split one.

We also bought donuts from Pike Place Market. There are two main donut places—The Daily Dozen Donut shop sells mini donuts by the dozen and half dozen, in plain, powdered, cinnamon, and sprinkles.


Why am I posting this terrible picture??

And we couldn’t resist the Texas sized donut from Pike Place Bakery, so we got one of those too.


Large donut or small head? You decide.

We returned to Pike’s Place once again and got Piroshkys from Piroshky Piroshky. Inexplicably, there is no photo evidence of this. Perhaps I should just take a picture of my hips as proof because that’s directly where those bad boys went.


I can't take credit for this photo.

You can’t go to Seattle without drinking copious amounts of coffee. Between the Seattle’s Best, Tully’s, ubiquitous espresso stands, and of course, Starbucks (including the very first one ever), we were both very well-caffeinated for the majority of the trip. This was good because we spent most of the time walking and hardly any time sleeping.


Original logo, saggy boobs and all.

We also ate at the rotating restaurant (!) at the top of the Space Needle (!!). It was the fanciest, most fabulous meal of my life. The city was absolutely beautiful at night, the food was amazing (even the Brussels sprouts were to die for. I'd never had Brussels sprouts before, and they were so good), and the people who worked there were total kiss-asses because they were getting so much of our money.


The view from the top. Notice there's no Space Needle because we were in it.

In less exciting food news, Chris experienced Red Robin for the first time, which allegedly originated in Seattle. No pics of this either, in fear of boring you to death.


Has anyone else ever been to Seattle? What did you eat there?


7 comments:

  1. i haven't been but i sure do want to go! that donut is gigantic...it looks super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid of a lot of things too actually and I HATE when calories, fat, sodium...whatever are listed on things IF I am eating out. It's the ultimate mood killer but I have heard that Seattle has amazing food :) I just LOVE FOOD what else can I say??? :) xx

    Oh and I'm your newest follower =)

    http://hopechella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed pike place market! When I went there we had some of the smoked salmon (aka lox) and it was the greatest lox I have ever had. ever. I still dream of the day I can return :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the last paragraph the most. You really sealed the deal by making fun of your boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY CRAP THAT DONUT IS HUGE. yummmm.

    I remember digging Seattle when I visited about ummm 7 or 8 years ago? I don't remember anything I ate though, sorry. Actually, I remember a really great bakery and of course seafood being involved, but that's about it.

    Cool, chill city. Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. D'you know, I've never been in a Starbucks! This old and not one coffee! Love that donut. My size indeed!

    If I wasn't terrified of flying I'd visit Seattle in a jiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to Seattle last year for a work trip and LOVED it! We ate at a very nice steak place called the Metropolitan Grill. http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/
    Yummy, but very pricey!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.