Thursday, March 25, 2010

Made: Embellished Tank Tops

I’m going to take a break from Seattle recaps to bring you another craftsy wonder in my “look ma, I made it all by myself!” series. To view other examples of my craft fabulosity (and failures) click here and here.



I embellished these 3 tank tops over the past few years after seeing so many shirts in stores and saying “I could literally make this for cheaper.” I think I need to be schooled on the definition of “literally.”



First up, the button tank. I made this one two summers ago when I was on vacation and had nothing better to do. I was originally going to sew on sequins, but when I went to the store (trusty Walmart again) I didn’t find any that I liked. So I settled on buttons. And I am sooo glad I did because this shirt is one of my favorite shirts that I own. I always get compliments on it, and I feel more confident when I wear it, especially when people ask if I’ve made it and I say “yeah, it was no big deal.” In truth, it really wasn’t a big deal. All you have to know is how to sew a button. And you also have to have the patience and time to sew hundreds of them. I’ve been asked if I would ever make these to sell, and the answer is definitely no. I’d have to charge about $50 to make this project worth my time, and I know no one would pay that much! P.S. those buttons are heavy and by the end of the day I'm always showing more skin than I would like. Sometimes I wear it over a button down, and then people inexplicably call it a vest.



I got the idea for this one from Lindsey at The Pleated Poppy, and decided to give it a whirl. What I didn’t account for was that she was presenting it as children’s clothing and I am, um, not a child. Although I may often be mistaken for one. The ruffles look a little awkward when I put the tank on, but maybe there’s something I could do to fix this?



Finally, I made the sequins tank. I haven’t worn it yet because I would like to add some more sequins actually. I didn’t really get this idea from somewhere as much as it was a vestigial idea from the buttons tank.


I hope I have inspired some of you craftier readers to whip something up today! If you do, let me know and I’ll post a pic!



10 comments:

  1. i can imagine that those buttons must have taken forever!!! they really are so fabulous - totally worth the time and effort! i adore the ruffles... they look great in the pic. you are a crafty fashionista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karisa,
    I'm stopping by from Friday Follow! I'm a new follower now. What cute tops! How inspiring that you decided to take the initiative and make the tops for yourself instead of spending tons of money! I have a crafty blog so I hope you'll stop by today.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a new follower! Great Blog! These tops are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! I love all of these! They're so fantastic, the button one is my favourite. Girlie, have a fab weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, super cute! I admire your patience to sew on all those buttons! BTW, I'm following you now! Thanks for finding me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a new follower from FF. These tanks are great. I only wish I were that talented. I especially love the one with all the buttons. Can't wait to see more as I poke around your blog and read all about a new blog friend. Hope to see you my way sometime. Come by to say hi and become a follower!

    http://sixcherriesontop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!! These are gorgeous!!! Thanks for coming by my blog the other day!

    P.S: I moved my blog! Please come by to say hi and now you have to follow! :)

    THANKS and have a wonderful Sunday!

    http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kari, that last shirt is awesome. Now I'm feeling crafty...that probably means it's time to knit another row or two of the scarf I've been working on since I was about 16.

    And as I was threatening to do last time I saw you, I finally gave in and started a blog: http://lifeinburntorange.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what I admire in you, the way your creativity and patience saves you a penny or two and looks just as good or better than the original one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love what you've done! two thumbs up!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.