Friday, March 12, 2010

10 Things I Love About You

Today is my main squeeze’s 22nd birthday! So I decided to dedicate today’s post to him and everything I love about him. It’s hard to narrow it down to 10 things because he really is quite lovable, despite what he might want you to think. At the risk (or in hopes) of embarrassing him:


10. He’s flipping hot. I know it’s superficial, but that’s why it’s number 10 instead of 1. I’d still love him if he weren’t but his good looks certainly don’t hurt…


He sent me this picture 3 years ago when he was still trying to woo me. I told him I’d save it on my computer as “hottie.” At the time I thought that was flirting. Now I realize I was a creep. But he dated me anyway!



9. He’s a really good cook. This one’s twofold—it’s both attractive and useful. Whenever he makes me a home-cooked meal I fall in love all over again. He comes up with new recipes all the time and never screws them up like I, um, always do. I don’t feel like I’m eating a crappy college diet because my man takes care of me!


8. He likes his family and mine. He respects his mother, which is what all the magazines tell you to look for in a guy. He respects his dad too, and he is even mature enough to agree with their rules because he understands that they have his best interests in mind (this applied more in the early days of our relationship when we were but teenagers). He also likes my family, or at least he knows enough to not complain about them, even when I do.


7. He always makes time for me. He tries to make time to eat lunch and dinner together every day, and on weekends he asks “what are we doing tonight?” When he wants to spend time alone or with other dudes, he lets me know ahead of time so I can plan something wit mah gurls. If I call him crying in the middle of the night he’ll come over to console me even if it means he risks getting mugged on the mean streets of Milwaukee (but don’t worry—usually I tell him to stay home because I don’t want him to be mugged).



I think we were about to hold hands.

6. He’s nerdy but not too nerdy. I always said I had a thing for nerds until I realized that most nerds are kind of…too nerdy. Somehow he walks the fine line and nails it perfectly. We met in physics class and he helped me with my homework because he’s a physics genius. He also likes other nerd endeavors (I won’t elaborate because now I’m really embarrassing him). But he’s not too nerdy—ie. he doesn’t participate in LARPing, talk in a comic book guy voice, or watch anime p0rn. He also doesn’t wear stupid nerd T-shirts, but he can appreciate the humor of stupid nerd T-shirts. I love that I can buy him presents from thinkgeek, but I don’t have to worry about him living in his parents’ basement and yelling at 5th-graders on WoW. I also love that he doesn’t even play WoW.


5. He always makes me feel better. Whether I’m sad, nervous, angry, depressed, or generally bent out of shape, he always makes me feel better. He has literally never failed at this. I don’t know if it’s because he’s a good therapist or just because he cares about me, but either way it’s a sweet deal. Plus, his shoulder is at the perfect height for my head to rest.


4. He’s ambitious. He’s going to med school next year! He made it through 4 years of physics and still got better grades than me as an English major (HOW is this possible, you jerk!). He doesn’t take short cuts on things that are important to him. Being smart, well-educated, and aware of current events is important to him because he wants to make the most of his life. He inspires me to push myself harder because I see him pushing himself so hard.


Oh yeah.

3. He’s romantic. He bought me no-reason-flowers last week, and they were my favorite kind to boot. He saves pieces of candy for me, and he always sends me texts/emails/messages just to tell me he loves me. He calls every night before bed to say goodnight. He also walks me home from work at night, which often entails him leaving his apartment to come get me and then walking all the way back in the cold (see “mean streets of Milwaukee, above).


2. He makes me laugh. This one’s pretty high on the list (er, I guess low on the list?) because laughing with him is somehow more enjoyable than laughing with other people. He has a very similar sense of humor as I do, and he often makes really funny faces on accident (my only complaint is that he refuses to recreate these faces on demand). He and I have a veritable menagerie of inside jokes between us, and our collection just keeps growing.



see, he's funny!


1. He lets me be myself. I am actually quite a weird, neurotic, dorky idiot a lot of the time, but only he really knows to what extent. I break all the rules Cosmo tells you to follow, and he loves me anyway. I don’t have to play games or worry if he’s losing interest in me. He’s seen me with messy hair, no makeup, in a sweatsuit (shh, you didn’t hear it from me!) and sometimes all three at once, but he still tells me I’m pretty. He’s my best friend.


I don’t usually wax poetic about him publicly like this because I’m so afraid of people thinking I’m annoying. But you know what? If you think I’m cheesy, I’ll gladly put myself on a sandwich, because this was worth it. And as Buddy the Elf says, “I’m in love! I’m in love! And I don’t care who knows it!”


Happy Birthday, Darling.

10 comments:

  1. you're so sweet to celebrate your man on his special day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm your newest follower from Friday Follow. Nice to meet you. Looking forward to reading more about you. Hope you have time to visit me soon!

    http://militaryspouserollercoasterride.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaaaaaaahhhh! That is so sweet. I was just passing through when this post caught my interest. After 20 years of marriage mine still wouldn't reach 10!

    Bless young love
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you met him in Physics class. What a story for years in the future. Maybe a book? I met my Flippin' Hot Boyfriend in Physics Class. Sounds like a best seller.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I love this. Especially that picture of you two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is super cute! It's great to have an amazing boyfriend :D Also, I got you something on my blog :)

    http://hopechella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. for as much as i hung out with you guys in milwaukee, i never knew all these super sweet things about chris! what a lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.