Friday, February 5, 2010

The Best and Worst (and Absolute Worst) Movies of the Decade

Some people (okay everyone I know) say I have the absolute worst taste in movies. I tend to agree, actually, but that doesn’t change the fact that I wish I had good taste. So I decided to take some data—I looked through every movie that came out in the last decade and marked the ones I liked. It turns out everyone was right; I have terrible taste in movies, as most of the movies I like are sold in the 3 for $20 bin at Blockbuster (that’s also where most of the DVDs I own came from. Hmmm.).

So that my research doesn’t go to waste, I decided to organize my fave movies into separate lists to share with everyone so you can decide for yourself if I like bad movies.


Chick Flicks:


Note: not an example of a bad movie


My favorite category of movies by far is chick flicks. This may be where my reputation comes from, because chick flicks are inherently bad.

2000: Chocolat

2001: Legally Blonde

2002: Sweet Home Alabama

2003: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

2004: 13 Going on 30/Mean Girls/The Notebook (I truly could not decide!)

2005: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

2006: The Devil Wears Prada

2007: License to Wed

2008: Sex & the City Movie

2009: Bride Wars (What? It was good!!)



Kid's Movies:

Remember this one? Fun for the whole family, right?


I also really like kids movies because, after all, I am a child.

2000: Chicken Run

2001: Shrek

2002: Tuck Everlasting

2003: Finding Nemo

2004: Ella Enchanted

2005: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

2006: Happy Feet

2007: Ratatouille

2008: Bedtime Stories (by default, since the only alternative was Twilight)

2009: Up


Christmas Movies:

“You’ve made the life I lead foolish too.”


I like pretty much every Christmas movie that came out in the last decade, despite the fact that every last one of them was terrible. I’m not really helping my case, am I?

2000: The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

2001: n/a (Some years didn’t have any Christmas movies, and some just had a “Santa Clause” sequel, so I put “n/a”)

2002: n/a

2003: Elf/Love Actually

2004: Christmas with the Kranks (I said I’d be honest, didn’t I?)

2005: The Family Stone

2006: n/a

2007: n/a

2008: Four Christmases

2009: n/a


Movies you may not have heard of:

Pictured: the nadir of Al Pacino’s career


I actually had quite a few movies on my list that most people probably didn’t see and don’t remember. No, I’m not an indie movie snob. I just happen to like movies that were unsuccessful. Dammit… (Not every movie on this list was bad though. At least, I don’t think. You can’t really trust my judgment anymore.)

2000: Down to You

2001: Heartbreakers

2002: S1m0ne

2003: Les Triplettes de Bellville

2004: Saved!

2005: Elizabethtown

2006: Notes on a Scandal

2007: n/a (you’ve heard of every last one)

2008: Ghost Town

2009: Bright Star



Movies I'm not embarrassed to admit liking:


Leo!


And finally, movies I’m not embarrassed to admit liking. Hopefully this list will redeem me.

2000: 13 Days

2001: Ocean’s 11

2002: Catch me if you can

2003: Good Bye Lenin!

2004: Les Choristes

2005: Crash

2006: Babel

2007: Atonement

2008: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

2009: Avatar


So how did I do? Am I officially the worst film critic ever? What is your favorite terrible movie?

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to have contributed more than one of the movies in the "good" list...which, never mind what anyone thinks Kari, be proud of your impeccable taste for girly/sappy holiday movies. Know that the creators of such films did not do so in vain, for you were there to enjoy them.

    By the way, where is 'Ghost in the Shell: Innocence" on this list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah i must have forgotten that one. If I made a list of my least favorite movies you would undoubtedly have contributed more than one to that list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel any better I thought I liked the movie NINE until I learned that it was bad, then I decided I didn't like it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE chick flicks! Sure, I like arty foreign films too (and horror and action...) but sometimes, you want something that you know is going to end happily. There’s more than enough unhappily-ever-after endings in real life; chick flicks are the perfect antidote. I love Chocolat. It’s a beautiful flick!

    And finally, someone else who liked Good Bye, Lenin!

    As an aside, my Gary loved The Devil Wears Prada, and agrees that there is actually quite a bit of wit in Mean Girls.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.